Tuesday, January 31, 2012

One of "Those" People

Anita Patterson/Morguefile.com

Have you ever paid attention around you when you're out and about and notice how many people are on their cell phones? Several years ago, I did and I've noticed a huge increase since. I've also noticed how annoyed I become when I'm surrounded by cell phone use. Ok, ok, I am one of "those" people occasionally but not to the extreme I see most often these days.

Restaurants, movie theaters, standing in line at a checkout.... There's always someone's cell phone ringing, an opportunity to listen to half a conversation and oh, especially those "bluetooth" users who look like they're talking to themselves.

What have we done to ourselves for this intensive need to have constant communication? What is the issue of not being able to go to the store without a cell phone "just in case" someone needs to get a hold of us? I'm all about having a cell phone for emergency use but is it really necessary to chit chat while you're supposed to be enjoying your meal with a loved one at a restaurant?

I've noticed the lack of awareness in our society. People don't pay attention to their surroundings anymore. Not many people will smile or say hello when they pass by another person. I am an old-fashioned person. I like the values in life that most people have forgotten. It's hard for me to go through life constantly looking for the bad in people or situations. I believe there's good in everything, you just have to look for it and when you find it, it's a wonderful feeling.

There's a huge list of phobias. It's quite an interesting list. There are fears over things I never knew existed. However, there is no fear of cell phones, at least I can't find one yet. There is also no phobia of forgetting their cell phone and no phobia of seeing someone on a cell phone. Who wants to wager on the time of such phobias will be added to the list? Check them out here: Phobias

I suppose I need to let go of this struggle I have over the new wave of technology. Don't get me wrong.  I'm overly impressed by how fast and how amazing technology can be.  I do take advantage of it from time to time.... ok, everyday.  But I do enjoy getting out and about and enjoying the world around me, not keeping my eyes blinded and my ear to the phone.  Afterall, I don't get out much these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment