Monday, November 12, 2012

Little Girls After My Own Heart

I recently discovered that I have an allergic reaction to wheat.  Since I can no longer have wheat bread, I've taken up baking my own bread again.  I don't know what it is about baking bread.  I love the way it makes my house smell and feel cozy and warm.  I also like to bask in the accomplishment of baking bread as it takes an incredible amount of patience.  One day I had made bread just in time for it to come out of the oven during dinner and it was perfect timing as I planned on having spaghetti.  I even made a salad and it turned out to be quite a nice meal without a lot of effort, it only looked like a lot of effort.  My daughters had asked if they could invite our neighbor friends over for dinner and I was happy to agree.  As these two little girls came over, Ellen was eager to show her friend our new garbage can.  She stepped on the pedal and the lid slammed up and her friend says enthusiastically, "I just knew you were going to do that!"  Ellen was just as excited about a new garbage can as I was!

A few minutes later, our neighbor friends commented how good my house smelled.  "It smells just like bread," they said. 

So as these four little girls and myself sat down for dinner, all the girls accepted salad and loaded their plates up with spaghetti.  As we bowed our heads to pray, each child took turns to thank God for the fresh bread and blessed the hands that made our meal.  To top it all off after our friends left, neither of my girls fought all evening, they were good listeners, they got their homework done and took showers without arguing.  I was beside myself in awe over how nice of an evening we had.

Little girls after my own heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment