Saturday, January 19, 2013

Whining and Complaining - Ugh!




I learned rather quickly in life how negative people can suck the life out of someone.  I've learned hard lessons growing up about choosing friends, but it wasn't until I grew up was when I finally learned to pick and choose my friends wisely.  I don't hang around negative people and if I'm friends with someone who has a negative attitude, I take them in very small doses.  Eventually, I surrounded myself with only positive, happy people.

"You are who you hang with."

When I was in college and living on my own, I drove a dinky little Geo Metro.  I had no air conditioning, one radio station because I broke the antennae while washing it one day, and my tape deck played music in techno speed.  One warm summer day, I was late for work and swerving in and out of traffic just trying to gain any minute I could, I got stuck at a traffic light and immediately yelled, "come on!  [fill in the blanks here]" because the person in front of me waited too long to turn left.  I stopped, took a breather and realized,  (crap!) my windows were down.  Since it was a nice day, everyone around me had their windows down too.  Needless to say, I was a bit embarrassed.

Negative people complain and whine about anything.


Lately, I've been cooking and trying to keep our fridge stocked up with fresh produce.  Our fridge tends to get over stuffed with leftover containers and occasionally somewhat questionable veggies.  When you try to get something out, something else always falls out.  It's so easy to complain how annoying it is when you try to reach into the fridge and half of it falls out on you.  I've learned to see it as a blessing instead.

Let's complain:  LAUNDRY  


My granddaughter's face shows it all.  Laundry is scary!  This particular day took me 16 hours to complete.  I started it at 6:30 in the morning and I had just finished it up around 10:45 that night.  As you all know, laundry is hard work but no one ever seems to complain when laying their head down on a fresh, crisp pillow case at night or breathing in a freshly bleached towel when getting out of the shower.  Laundry is a blessing because that means I have clothes to wear and blankets to stay warm in.

Let's complain:  WAITING IN LINE


Oh Heaven forbid we have to wait in line!  Have you ever notice yourself getting really impatient when you have to wait 30 seconds for your food to be done in the microwave?  30 seconds.  Seconds!  We can now fast forward through commercials (thank you cable!), install high speed internet, use our Smartphones to do whatever we want, when we want, wherever we want.  Standing in line can be a blessing because it would give us a chance to share a smile, make small talk with someone, say a prayer, stop and breathe.

Let's complain:  JOB

At least you have a job.  'Nuff said.

It's so easy to whine and complain.  Just ask my kids. Try one day to find something positive in every situation you're tempted to complain about.  God only makes good days.  It's up to us to keep it that way by seeing the good in it.  God gives us flowers all the time, He paints the sky for us everyday and sends us blessings through friends and family.  It's up to us to see the good in it all!



"...give thanks to him and praise his name.  For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations."  Psalm 100: 4-5.

No comments:

Post a Comment