Friday, February 28, 2014

Adventure #1

 
I love Groupon.  I got an offer from Young Chefs Academy for a cooking class for kids.  So the girls went to learn how to cook and my hubby and I went out on a date!  Honestly, the girls had so much fun, I wish I had bought more Groupons for this. 
While the kids were learning to make Pierogies and Rugelach, Jeff and I went to a new restaurant for dinner.  For those of you who know my husband, this is a SHOCKER!  Jeff doesn't like to try new restaurants and I was surprised when he recommended this place.  We went to a Latin restaurant called Arepazo in Gahanna.  In fact, it turned out to be a great gluten-free restaurant.  We had fried plantains, which was not coated in flour before frying.

And we had some sort of fried plantain salad something or other.  I can't remember the name but boy was it good!  I've seen plantains in the grocery store and I know you have to cook them before you eat them, but I've never had a desire to try them.  Now, i'll be checking them out during my next grocery trip. 
It turned out that this little restaurant inspired my motivation to want to go to culinary school, or perhaps take cooking classes.  If I would ever become a chef, I would want to own a restaurant just like Arepazo.  It was very cozy, small and amazingly popular.
 
Meanwhile, back at the Young Chefs' kitchen, this is how we found the girls when we went to go back to get them: 
 
I was surprised to see Ellen having such a good time.  She's been my little shadow lately and haven't left my side except going to school.

Marcella liked the cooking class so much, she's been helping me in the kitchen.  She learned to chop tomatoes and green peppers.  Only homemade salsa in this house!!!

The next day we went to check out the Home and Garden Show.  We go every year.  It's a great way to get Spring Fever in high gear with landscaping ideas and oh!  the smell of fresh spring flowers everywhere!  I saw these flowers that I've never seen before.  They're called cyclamen.  I didn't care for the scent very much but they were beautiful.  They looked like paper petals floating over leaves.




 
 
Stringing tiny lights throughout your garden is the "in" thing this year.  I thought these were really neat.  Unfortunately, the girls pooped out on us quickly and we didn't get to see everything.  The show was much better this year than last year. 



No comments:

Post a Comment