Sunday, October 20, 2013

Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup - Gluten Free

What's for dinner?  You've got to try this soup! It's filling and very easy to make.  Again, as most of my gluten free recipes I try out, I have my doubts.  I always worry my kids won't eat what I make and I'll hear complaining all through dinner.  As always to my surprise, it turned out fabulous and my kids liked it too!

This recipe calls for Wild Rice, which is a very healthy grain.  It doesn't raise your insulin level and give you a big energy drop like regular rice would.  It's low in carbs (21g), high in protein (27g) and it's only 300 calories!  This soup is fantastic with the gluten free basic biscuits recipe.


What you need:
6 c. chicken broth
1/2 c. wild rice
1 lb. boneless, chicken breast, cubed
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
2 + tsp lemon-pepper seasoning
2 medium heads of broccoli, cut very small pieces
2 c. half-and-half
Salt and pepper to taste

What to do:
In a large pot, bring the broth to a boil and add the wild rice.  Cover and cook medium-low heat for 20 minutes.

Add chicken, carrots, onion, celery, lemon-pepper seasoning, salt and pepper.  Cook covered for 15 minutes.

Add broccoli and cook for another 5 minutes or until broccoli and rice are tender.

Gradually stir in half-and-half, stirring constantly for 5 minutes until heated through.

Serves 6


Recipe from Wheat Belly Cookbook by William Davis, MD.




No comments:

Post a Comment