Monday, October 14, 2013

Gluten Free Mozzarella Sticks

I'm linking up with Frugal by Choice, Cheap by Necessity for Homemade Monday.

So I've been enthralled by this new book I tripped over at the library, The Wheat Belly Cookbook, by William Davis, M.D.  More posts about what I've been learning about wheat later!  But one of the recipes I found in this book is Gluten Free Mozzarella Sticks.  Oh yum!

I have to admit these little sticks looked a bit leery to me.  My kids kept asking if we were having sausages for dinner.  Then I got nervous.  They weren't going to eat these!  But I trudged on.

 
 

2 TB arrowroot (which I didn't have so I substituted 2 TB of cornstarch)
2 eggs
3/4 c. golden flaxseed meal (which I didn't have so I substituted ground flaxseeds)
1/4 c. grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
1/2 tsp. crushed basil
12 string cheese sticks
6 TB coconut oil
1c. warm marinara sauce (I used plain spaghetti sauce)
 
In one bowl, mix the arrowroot or cornstarch, flaxseed, cheese and basil. Set aside.
 
In another bowl, beat eggs.
 
I cut the string cheese sticks in half to work with easier but this your option.
 
Coat cheese in egg and roll in flaxseed mixture and repeat.
 
Continue for all the sticks and place on a plate or baking sheet.
 
Freeze for 30 minutes.
 
Heat coconut oil in skillet over medium heat.  Cook 3-6 sticks in the oil for 1 minute or until golden brown and sticks start to become soft.  Place cooked cheese sticks on a paper towel lined plate.  Serve with marinara sauce.  Enjoy!
 
I was really surprised how good these things were!  My kids loved them.  What's so great about them?  No flour, flaxseed is good for you and they were cooked in coconut oil, which is also good for you.  Now you have a good excuse to have fried mozzarella sticks for dinner and not feel guilty!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment