Coconut oil is one of the healthiest fats you can consume. There are two types of coconut oil:
Refined and unrefined
Refined coconut oil has been exposed to high heat to deodorize and remove the coconut scent and flavor. At times, it's been partially hydrogenated, which then the coconut oil could contain trans fat.
Unrefined coconut oil has been dried and mechanically expressed. It's often labeled as "virgin" or "pure" coconut oil. It goes under the least process, which holds its distinct coconut flavor and scent.
Which one to choose? Choose unrefined if you want the fullest coconut flavor. Choose refined when cooking at higher temperatures, such as frying or baking. Either one is good for you, as long as you choose a brand that is non-hydrogenated, however the unrefined and virgin/pure coconut oil is the best option for health benefits.
Remember, coconut oil is still a fat. It contains the highest level of fat than any other oil but when used in moderation, reaps many, many benefits. Coconut oil has a shelf life of at least two years. It doesn't need to be refrigerated. It improves or reverses Alzheimer's' disease, improves type 1 and 2 diabetes, improves and heals many skin issues such as acne, fungus, eczema, psoriasis and rosacea. It boosts metabolism, energy, and improves hypothyroidism. Coconut oil strengthens hair, kills lice and improves dandruff. It is antibacterial, antioxidant, kills viruses, and promotes weight loss.
So here we go, 80 uses for coconut oil. '*' indicates I've personally tried and/or used coconut oil for that particular use.
- *Great for cooking and baking.
- *Spread on toast instead of butter.
- *Rub into skin as a lotion. Beat with electric mixer until smooth, add your favorite essential oil and mix.
- *A natural deodorant
- Makeup remover
- *Diaper rash cream
- *Relieves sun burns
- *Coffee creamer. A tablespoon of coconut oil, dash of vanilla, 1 tsp butter (optional), mix in food processor until smooth and runny and add to hot coffee. Surprisingly very good!
- *Lighten age spots
- Homemade mayo
- *Minimizes/prevents stretch marks
- Tropical massage oil
- *Deep nighttime moisturizer
- *Hair serum to tame frizz
- *Deep conditioner for hair - Melt oil and massage through dry hair. Wrap hair in plastic wrap for one hour and wash and condition as usual.
- Cradle cap on baby - massage oil onto baby's head for a few minutes and rinse.
- *Rub onto feet after shower and put on socks. Cures athlete's foot, fungus and cracked heels.
- In place of Lanolin cream for nursing moms to sooth chapped nipples after breastfeeding.
- *Reduces scars
- Make your own toothpaste
- Topically relieves yeast infection symptoms
- *Body scrub - mix equal parts with coarse sugar or sea salt
- Make your own sunscreen
- 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil everyday will help increase milk supply and fat content in breast milk.
- Healthy snack for kids - Try Wellness Mama's recipe for Coconut Clusters
- Kills lice - The process is very long but it works without chemicals. Coconut oil.com
- Helps relieve allergy symptoms - rub a small amount inside the nose.
- *Helps improve insulin levels
- Homemade bug repellent lotion bars
- Lower bad cholesterol
- *Helps digestion
- May kill intestinal parasites or yeast
- Reduces appearance of varicose veins
- Personal lubricant
- Heals ear infections
- Softens real leather
- Tanning oil
- Sooths itch of chicken pox or poison ivy
- Increases absorption of calcium and magnesium
- Whitening toothpaste (or along with baking soda)
- Helpful with those with autism
- Homemade vapor rub
- Very beneficial to pregnant women and unborn child
- Relieves pain of hemorrhoids
- Boost circulation
- *Helps cuticles to grow
- Sooths heartburn or nausea
- Add to smoothies
- *Replace butter with coconut oil in steamed vegetables
- Heals cold sores
- Increases mental alertness
- Baby lotion
- *Anti-aging facial moisturizer
- Heals ringworm
- Improves Parkinson's disease
- Clears "brain fog" when taken regularly
- Add to pet's food for a healthy, shiny coat
- *Eases arthritis
- Relieves constipation
- Balances hormones
- Use in hundreds of recipes, try this link to get you started
- Coat air-pop popcorn with coconut oil instead of butter
- Someone posted that coconut oil cured her child's pink eye.
- Improves Alzheimer's disease
- Improves hypothyroidism
- Improves Types 1 and 2 diabetes
- Heals eczema and rosacea and psoriasis
- Improves dandruff
- Helps hair grow
- *Heals razor burn/bumps
- Lowers depression
- Lowers menopause symptoms
- A tablespoon of coconut oil and 4 drops or more of oregano oil taken twice a day will kill yeast, mold, and fungus infections. Improves dry mouth.
- Smooths wrinkles
- Improves thyroid function
- Possibly helps improves shingles
- Decreases appetite