Tuesday, May 3, 2011

How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are?

I love this question.  Everyone I know well, I already think of that person as a certain age and they are always that age, forever.  For example, my niece and nephew will always be 6 and 9 (they are actually 9 and 12... I think).  I still don't know how old my parents are.  I was brought up that asking an older person their age was considered rude.  My parents will always be in their early 40's to me.  I believe they are in the 60's.... I think.  My husband was 36 when I met him.  He told me he was 34 when we met and he still is 34 in my mind.

For me, if I didn't know how old I was, I would say I was 25.  Do I look 25?  I don't know.... but my mind sure thinks I'm am.  When I sit on the floor with kids and I try to stand up, my body will argue with my mind.  I'm NOT 25 but I want to be.  I always thought that was a good age.  I finished college and had a good job.  My husband and I got married when I was 25 and we had so much fun (and still do!) and went to so many places before we had kids.  It was a whole new kind of freedom.  I have so many good memories during that time that I guess I always want to hold on to them.  So yes, I'm 25 years old and I think I always will be!

Want more to read?  Try  Ellen-A Short Story

No comments:

Post a Comment