Friday, May 6, 2011

A Fun Craft to Try

I'm finally getting over a severe sinus infection.  For two weeks, I've laid around the house not wanting to do a thing.  The house would be a wreck and I didn't care.  My husband would come home from working all day and he would start cleaning the house because I just didn't feel like doing it.  (Thank you, Honey!)

Yesterday, I got so much energy back, I didn't know what to do with it all.  So I invited the neighbor gal over to play with my 3 year old and we did a big craft.  We had so much fun with it that my 7-year-old came home from school and she made one, too for her teacher for Teacher Appreciation Week.   This is how we did it:
Color a white coffee filter with markers.  Be generous with the coloring.  Squirt the coffee filter with water and allow to dry.  Insert a pipe cleaner and then bunch the filter to look like a flower.  You can add tape to make sure it stays.

Next you're going to decoupage an empty water bottle.  Cut up pieces of tissue paper, set aside.  You can make your own decoupage solution by pouring elmer's glue in a small container and add a little bit of water.  Use a paint brush or a sponge and paint the glue over small sections of the water bottle.  Add the tissue paper and overlap the layers.  Use the paint brush to "paint" the edges of the tissue paper down.  If you put one layer of tissue paper, it will look more like stained glass, or you can add a couple layers of tissue paper to give it more of a bold color.

Once your bottle is dry, add the flowers and enjoy.  You could even spritz a bit of perfume on the flowers for an added touch.

For my daughter's teacher's present, she wrote a sweet note and we tied it on with curling ribbon.  You can even add orzo noodles, rice, sand, or small stones to weigh the bottle down.  Happy crafting!

If you like this craft, check out my other crafts such as:


Window Crafts
Yarn Crafts
Paper Plate Crafts
Homemade Toys for Toddlers & Preschoolers

No comments:

Post a Comment