Thursday, May 10, 2012

A Cheerful Giver


I’ve blogged about giving generously before. This time, it’s about being a cheerful giver.
“A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.” ~ Proverbs 11:25

Just the other day, I pulled out three pounds of ground beef to make meatloaves. I’m not a fan of meatloaf but it’s an easy meal to make and my kids will eat it. I love cooking for other people, knowing that someone could always take a break from making dinner. Once the meatloaves were done, I rushed one over to my neighbor. To my surprise, she was already outside talking to another neighbor as she was walking by. I passed it off quickly and ran back to my house because my kids were actually reined into the dinner table and I wanted to keep them that way. But then I looked at that third meatloaf, one that I was planning on freezing for another day, and felt inspired to give that one away, too.
My neighbor, who I had just given the meatloaf to had some extra salad and we combined them together, and she ran the meal over to our friend who was just finishing up her walk.
I found later that our friend’s husband has been away at work and she has been managing their five kids on her own. It made me even happier to have been inspired to pass on another home-cooked meal.
See if you can find an opportunity to give today. Whether it be a parking meter token, a bag of clothes or blankets, a plate of cookies or even a home-cooked meal. No matter how big or small, always be looking for a way to give. How many days in a row can you keep giving with a cheerful heart?
“Let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver.” ~ 2 Corinthians 9: 7

No comments:

Post a Comment