Friday, May 25, 2012

The Mustard Seed

"He told them another parable:  'The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field.  Though it is the smallest of all your seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and perch in its branches.'"  ~ Matthew 13:31
Mustard seeds



 This parable reminds me of a song we used to sing in the children's choir at church.

Pass It On (It Only Takes a Spark)

It only takes a spark, to get a fire going.
And soon all those around, can warm up it it's glowing.

Chorus:
That's how it is with God's love, once you've experienced it, it's fresh like spring, you want to sing, you want to pass it on.

I wish for you my friend
This happiness that I've found
You can depend on him
It matters not where your bound.

Chorus

I'll shout it from the mountain tops
I want the world to know
The Lord of Life has come to me
I want to pass it on.

Chorus

This song chokes me up every time I hear it.  It brings back memories but it also reminds me of a very important message:

Just as the smallest mustard seed can grow into a huge tree, only a tiny spark in your heart of God's love is all someone needs to experience the love of God.  Once a spark happens, it doesn't take much for the fire to get going.  Once that love grows, it doesn't stop, then soon the glow of the fire will come out of you and affect everyone and everything around you.  God's love will make you want to shout it out and pass it on to everyone.
A mustard tree
Happy Friday, everyone!  Enjoy the glorious (and hot) weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment