Monday, May 14, 2012

Teen Creed

I was looking through my Bible one day and I found all kinds of little pieces of papers, small books, prayer cards and printouts of all kinds that either list scriptures that I want to read (someday) or things that meant something to me.  I’d have to be very careful not to drop my Bible for all that stuff would’ve fallen out.  I’ve since cleaned out my Bible but I found a leaf pressed into wax paper.  I don’t know the name of the leaf but I remember the day I found it.  I was at a week-long NET retreat and the leaf had five points, almost like a buckeye leaf.  It reminded me of the five wounds of Jesus when He was crucified.  It meant something to me so I kept it for many, many years.

One thing I found was a prayer card titled “Teen Creed.”  I’ve had this card since forever, probably elementary school.  I’m sure my mom gave it to me and I’ve kept it all these years.  I’ve passed the words on this prayer card to one other teenager in the past but I’ve never shared it with anyone else.  It’s time I share this Teen Creed with all the other teenagers out there in the world.  I will surely share this card with my young girls in hopes they will follow them when they become teenagers.
  1. Don’t let your parents down, they brought you up.
  2. Be humble enough to obey, you may give orders someday.
  3. Choose companions with care, you become what they are.
  4. Guard your thoughts, what you think, you are.
  5. Choose only a date who would make a good mate.
  6. Be master of your habits, or they will master you.
  7. Don’t be a show off when you drive, drive with safety and arrive.
  8. Don’t let the crowd pressure you, stand for something or you’ll fall for anything.
Isn’t it just like a teenager:  they think they know it all, the world revolves around them and they can do no wrong.  They are invincible.  I was like that as a teenager.  You were, too.  If you say you weren’t, you’re lying.  We’ve all been there, but now that I’m an adult, these 10 “commandments” make so much sense!  I wish I hadn’t been a “know-it-all”.  I wish family was more important to me at that time.  I missed out on so much while I was “out”.  But if we don’t go through that unappreciative stage, we’ll never learn to really appreciate family.  The Teen Creed can at least guide a teenager through that stage in life…. if they’ll just listen.


morguefile.com/taylorschlade

“Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.  Honor your father and mother – which is the first commandment with a promise – that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.” ~ Ephesians 6:1

No comments:

Post a Comment