Friday, May 11, 2012

What is truth?


Webster’s dictionary defines “truth” as sincerity in action, character, and utterance. The state of being the case; the body of real things, events, and facts.
Since I’m a christian blogger, I’ll stick with the christian-definition of “truth”.
If you had a map that told you how to get to Indiana, you would follow the instructions and you would get there. The next time you use the map to get to Indiana, it takes you there again. You become to trust the map as fact and you believe it’s ‘true’.
For centuries, people have been reading the Bible, believing the facts, the stories and parables, and living the way of the Bible. How many times do you read a novel? Yet Christians have been reading the Bible over and over and over for centuries. Why do people continue to read the same book over and over? Because the Bible is truth. Humans thrive on believing truth. Truth is written in our heart.
Jesus claimed, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” John 14:6. That’s a pretty bold statement if you ask me. For someone who claimed that fact and showed numerous acts of being truth (like miracles), you better believe Him! Jesus is truth.
The Bible says to think your life through. Don’t just drift through life and not use your head. The Bible is there for us to make sure our paths in life are straight…. straight to God. Believe your “map” and learn the Bible.
How are you willing to bet your life? If you’re an atheist and believe there is no God, then you better be right! I’ll be betting my life on God because I have the Bible sitting here with me showing me truth everyday. I’m willing to bet my life on God because He is Truth!

If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” ~John 8: 31-32

This devotion is inspired by Chuck Colson and Rick Warren, DVD series “Walk the Talk” Session 2

No comments:

Post a Comment